ABOUT THIS POSITION
During the current health crisis, the majority of job interviews will be held by video or audio conference. In person recruitment and selection processes will be conducted in accordance with recommended safety guidelines (masks, social distancing, and disinfecting between candidates).
Please be aware that you may be required to undergo screening for symptoms of COVID-19 which may include answering questions regarding symptoms or having your body temperature read as part of this job. You may also be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Finance Department seeks an energetic, analytical, and results-oriented professional to fill the position of Assistant Finance Director. This executive-level position assists the Chief Financial Officer in directing the operation of several divisions within the department. Responsibilities include managing and developing financial reporting systems, managing, and implementing projects, and overseeing procedural improvement on a department and citywide basis. Department resources include an operating budget of over $30 million and 200 employees supporting a variety of financial functions including tax collections and auditing, treasury and debt management, procurement, real estate and risk management, financial accounting and reporting, enterprise resource planning (SAP), AP/AR, and payroll. Duties include representing the CFO in interactions with the City Council Office and City Manager’s Office within assigned areas of fiscal and management function.
Up to $162,323 annually. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. The City contributes 8.5% of salary into 457/401(a) plans with no matching required. $5,220/annual car allowance and $1,440/annual cell phone allowance.
A comprehensive Executive benefits package is offered which includes:
Traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 15 sick days. For more details, view Executive Benefits at https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Benefit%20Category/010.pdf
- Four years of professional-level experience in a medium-to-large public sector finance department.
- Two years of experience supervising professional-level staff.
- Master's degree in business administration, public administration or a related field, or a Bachelor’s degree plus Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- In general, City of Phoenix residency is required within 24 months after the date of hire for newly hired executives, however exceptions apply for current employees. For more details, visit: https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/who-apply/residency
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- The City job description can be found at https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/JobDescriptions/12280.pdf
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE – The job requirements listed above, plus:
- Experience working with elected officials.
- Knowledge of Generally Acceptable Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they relate to governmental entities including the implementation of accounting pronouncements
- Experience in the management of financial systems and processes.
- Experience in the management of governmental procurement functions.
First review of applications will occur the week of May 10, 2021. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications or on May 24, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. whichever is sooner.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above.
During the online application process, you will need to provide responses to the following open-ended questions (the system allows copying/pasting into the answer fields):
- Please describe your previous experience in program management (300 words).
- Please describe your experience working in the field of transportation (300 words).
- What opportunities and challenges do you anticipate micro-mobility will face in the City of Phoenix? (500 words)
Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please visit https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Documents/Talent-Acquisition/Employment-Information.pdf
- View All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Assistant Finance Director: Job Code:12280, ID# 39700
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Spend Wisely, Be Kind.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.