This is a Division Manager position in the Finance Department. This position oversees the compilation and production of the City’s budget. Responsibilities include developing, researching, and implementing tax and financial analysis, long-range fiscal analysis and modeling, revenue and expenditure projection and analysis, and management of the City-wide budget process. The Budget and Financial Strategy Manager provides the vision and leadership to utilize the organization’s budget to ensure effective, creative, and flexible use of available resources to achieve the City’s mission and goals. Directs the investment of city funds in order to preserve financial safety while earning acceptable yields.
Major Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages all aspects of the Budget and Financial Strategy division primarily including:
- Manages, mentors’ staff and other resources for the division
- Oversight and development of the annual budget process and completion of the budget book
- Oversight and development of Lakewood Public Building Authority and the Lakewood Reinvestment Authority budgeting and reporting
- Develops and maintains a strategic long-range financial/budget model of the City
- Department program and project financial analysis
- Develops and implements investment strategy for city funds
- Researches and develops model for revenue and expenditure projections for inclusion in annual budget and long-range planning.
- Conducts quality control measures to ensure financial information is accurate.
- System administrator for forecasting/budgeting system Adaptive.
- Develops relationships and advises Department Directors, City Manager and Chief Financial Officer on financial information, forecasting, and economic analysis in order to achieve goals and objectives.
- Prepares and presents budget and financial information to City Council, City Manager, City leadership and boards and commissions as needed.
- Develops and maintains a network of professional resources with other government entities.
- Supervision Received: Receives supervision from the Chief Financial Officer
- Supervision Exercised: Senior Financial Analysts and Financial Analysts
Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or related field. Masters of Business Administration preferred.
- Experience: Five years of applicable professional experience in the area of governmental budgeting, financial analysis, and/or experience in finance or related field.
KSA's and Physical/Mental Reqs
- Sound knowledge of governmental budgeting, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Governmental Accounting Standards, fund accounting.
- Must have strong, fundamental mathematical and statistical skills for analyzing and calculating complex data.
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine proper courses of action.
- Must possess strong analytical skills, inquisitive or investigatory skills, and ability to research data and make sound judgement as to relevance, appropriateness and application.
- Must be able to thoroughly research and review financial data, complex and detailed reports, and make difficult analytical decisions and sound recommendations for use by the department/organization.
- Must remember large amounts of data, strong attention to detail, instructions given, etc.
- Excellent leadership and management skills to lead and mentor staff
- Experience in government investment, regulations strategies and portfolios
- Possess excellent written and verbal communications skills to interact with individuals both within and outside the organization.
- Ability to demonstrate those strong communication skills communicating with technical and non-technical management, coworkers, and users.
- Background check, motor vehicle, and credit check required.
Advanced Microsoft Excel skills with extensive experience with pivot tables is required. Experience with Adaptive Insights is preferred. Experience in government investing is preferred. High proficiency in the use of computers, accounting software applications, and Microsoft Office application programs including Excel, Word, Access, and Power Point.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
LIGHT WORK: Exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work