This position is responsible for the preparation and maintenance of the annual City budget and computing and verifying departmental requests. Work is performed with considerable latitude for the use of independent judgment in the selection of work methods and procedures in accordance with laws and established policies. Budgetary compliance is reviewed through audits and reports. This is professional and technical accounting work assisting the Finance Director in the maintenance of financial records and fiscal controls. This position may supervise others.
Essential Job Duties
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Design of the City’s proposed three-year operating planning and budgeting process. Ongoing management and implementation of the approved process, ensuring consistency and integration of annual operating plans and budgets described below.
- Design of the City’s proposed budgetary control process (review, analysis and reporting of monthly actual vs. budget performance by department). Ongoing management and implementation of the approved process, including monthly reports and recommended corrective actions to senior management and monthly reports to the City Commission.
- Preparation of the City’s proposed and final budgets to include: compiling, reviewing and processing departmental requests; verifying budgetary information for completeness, accuracy and adherence to guidelines; propose options for budget adjustments; attending departmental budget meetings with the City Manager and Department Heads; document preparation; preparation of advertisements; and preparation of agenda items.
- Analyze budget reports and requests of all City departments and provide assistance when necessary; maintain accounting and budget controls relative to revenues and expenditures and other related records; assist in maintaining the budgetary accounting records of the City according to established account classifications; prepare financial statements from accounting records.
- Examine and verify all revenues from all sources; make entries for authorized budget transfers; assist in analyzing cost accounting data and other information to develop performance standards for guides in budget or program preparation; perform routine budget monitoring procedures and preparation of budgetary reports.
- Maintenance of the City’s annual charitable and benevolent and special event documents, application forms and the grant award process.
Provide revenue and expense monitoring and forecasting for the budget process. Prepare monthly financial reports for City Commission.
- Preparation of the annual budget instruction manual to include projection information (i.e. payroll projections, electric, water, solid waste, storm water assessments, telephone, insurance and other projections as needed) as well as compiling and producing this document for distribution.
- Prepare and submit all budget amendments. This is to include compiling requests from all departments, balancing all funds affected, preparing the resolution, preparing resolution exhibit and all supporting documentation as requested by the Finance Director, City Manager and City Commission.
- Review all budget resolutions and supporting documentation for TRIM compliance and send all required documentation to State for TRIM approval. Also complete all e-TRIM transactions required by the State throughout the year.
- Assist in annual audit as requested in response to items involving the annual budget, budget transfers, budget amendments and all other queries.
- Assist with the balancing of operating budget information into the CIP.
Other job duties and responsibilities
- Preparation of the necessary documentation for participation in the GFOA award program for distinguished budget presentation if the program is budgeted in the fiscal year.
- Provide budgetary approval of payroll forms, tuition reimbursement, et cetera and update and maintain related reports as they pertain to the budget process (e.g. position control).
- Review and approval of all City Commission agenda items requiring the expenditure of funds.
- Process payments for Solid Waste Authority and Storm water assessments.
- Give training classes to employees new to the budget process or when the budget process changes.
- Distribute, create and/or participate in all ranking of functions within the City, scorecards or any other ranking system developed by the Finance Director, City Manager or City Commission.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Economics, Business, Public Administration or a related field.
- Five years of experience in budgeting and/or moderately complex accounting work.
- Experience in municipal accounting and budgeting desired.
- Knowledge of municipal budgetary practices and procedures including program and performance budgeting; accounting and auditing principles and procedures as they relate to public finance and financial reporting; organize, coordinate and maintain moderate to complex budget accounting records; and the ability to apply such knowledge.