The City of Olathe is seeking a Budget Manager to lead the process to develop, plan, and monitor the City’s annual $469 million operating and capital budget. The ideal candidate will have a proven experience in public finance and budgeting, as well as a strong background in leading teams and managing projects.
What we offer:
- Opportunity to work with and learn from highly experienced staff committed to providing sound, ethical, and transparent government budget development, implementation and oversight.
- Work within a high achieving team to play an integral part in setting a course for future generations to live and work in one of the best future-ready cities in the nation.
- Partnering with departments to solidify a culture focused on utilizing results-oriented performance assessment as a platform for organization-wide decision making and improvement.
What you offer:
- Financial expertise in government budget, financial and performance reporting.
- Adept professional support to other departments as the City encourages team problem- solving approaches to issues.
- Strong management skills for oversight of daily operations.
- Flexible, detail-oriented person who can work efficiently and effectively with internal staff, City departments, outside agencies/organizations, and assist other personnel in assigned duties.
- A common sense and strategic approach to decision-making that balances the needs of the organization.
- Coordinate the preparation and monitoring of the City-wide operating and capital budgets, including developing and presenting procedures, requirements, instructions, and schedules for budget input, review, and modifications.
- Manage, direct, monitor, and support direct reports, including advising on complex issues, and providing guidance and leadership.
- Direct and support the development and implementation of financial and statistical measures such as cash flow, long range planning, economic indicators, and trend analysis to evaluate the existing and future financial environment of the City.
- Present and explain complex budgetary and financial analyses and make sound recommendations to departments, senior management, and the City Council through the use of detailed charts, graphs, and other tools and resources as needed.
- Work closely with the Financial Services team to develop and update monthly financial reports for budgetary control. Make revenue and expenditure projections and associated recommendations to maintain structural balance.
- Support strategic alignment of goals, initiatives, people, processes, and systems throughout the organization by coordinating, facilitating, managing special assignments and processes.
- Manage relationships and coordinate work and strategic initiatives with other departments/agencies/districts, outside entities, bond counsel, legal counsel, financial advisor, and consultants.
- Contributes to City initiatives and work teams with the City Council, City Manager's Office, Executive Team and key City staff; provides coordination, facilitation, development, implementation, and expert advice on financial/strategic/operational issues; assists and educates internal audit staff with compilation of financial records, understanding of systemic process and transactions, and applicability of statutes and industry guidelines.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- A Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, accounting, finance or a related field from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree preferred.
- Certified Government Finance Officer or similar certification is preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years comprehensive progressive experience in municipal budgeting.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience analyzing complex issues from various perspective and making complex decisions.
- Experience budgeting utility or enterprise funds preferred.
- Ability to establish program related performance metrics, measures and targets.
- Ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, financial concepts and information to persons with varying levels of financial competence.
- Demonstrated experience being an agent of organizational change.
- Knowledge and application of current and emerging technologies, strategies and processes used to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of a business.
- Knowledge of strategic planning principles and practices.
- Chief Financial Officer
- Budget Analyst, Budget Interns