This position is responsible for the preparation and maintenance of the annual City budget and computing and verifying departmental requests. Work is performed with considerable latitude for the use of independent judgment in the selection of work methods and procedures in accordance with laws and established policies.
Essential Job Duties
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Design of the City’s proposed three-year operating planning and budgeting process. Ongoing management and implementation of the approved process, ensuring consistency and integration of annual operating plans and budgets described below.
- Prepare the City’s proposed and final budgets by compiling, reviewing, and processing departmental requests; verifying budgetary information for completeness, accuracy, and adherence to guidelines; propose options for budget adjustments; attending departmental budget meetings with the City Manager and Department Heads; document preparation; preparation of advertisements; and preparation of agenda items and budget amendments.
- Analyze budget reports and requests of all City departments and provide assistance when necessary; maintain accounting and budget controls relative to revenues and expenditures and other related records; assist in maintaining the budgetary accounting records of the City according to established account classifications; prepare financial statements from accounting records.
- Examine and verify all revenues from all sources; make entries for authorized budget transfers; assist in analyzing cost accounting data and other information to develop performance standards for guides in budget or program preparation; perform routine budget monitoring procedures and preparation of budgetary reports.
- Provide revenue and expense monitoring and forecasting for the budget process. Prepare monthly financial reports for City Commission.
- Review all budget resolutions and supporting documentation for TRIM compliance and send all required documentation to State for TRIM approval.
- Assist in annual audit as requested in response to items involving the annual budget, budget transfers, budget amendments, and all other queries.
- Assist with the balancing of operating budget information into the Capital Improvement Plan (CIP).
- Prepare the necessary documentation for participation in the GFOA award program for distinguished budget presentation.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Economics, Business, Public Administration, or a related field.
- Five years of experience in budgeting and/or moderately complex accounting work.
- Experience in municipal accounting and budgeting desired.
- Knowledge of municipal budgetary practices and procedures including program and performance budgeting; accounting and auditing principles and procedures as they relate to public finance and financial reporting; organize, coordinate and maintain moderate to complex budget accounting records; and the ability to apply such knowledge.