Applicants may contact human resources for questions related to this job. All inquiries and submissions need to be sent to human resources to be considered for employment.
The Senior Accountant role has various accounting responsibilities, including, but not limited to, preparing account reconciliations, auditing, accounts payable, accounts receivable and utility adjustments. Reporting on production, variances and errors, and assisting in preparation of the audit work papers and the ACFR. The Senior Accountant reports to the Controller.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare monthly journal entries including but not limited to fuel expenses, inter-fund transfers, and bi-weekly payroll .
- Performs variance analysis and reconciles various general ledger accounts and preparation of monthly schedules, report activity and identify any reconciling items. Evaluate and correct any reconciling items as needed.
- Participate in monthly and quarterly financial reviews.
- Reconcile daily cash, check, and credit card transactions and back-up for banking activity including all ACH transfers, wires, reversals, etc. Identify any reconciling items, work with others to resolve them and record any needed correcting journal entries. Review account notifications and address all positive pay issues to make a determination as to how they should be handled.
- Review, monitor and post accounts payable transactions. Prepare annual reporting for 1099s and unclaimed property. Review accounts payable aging and general ledger balance reports and prepare year-end schedules for the ACFR.
- Audit revenues and accounts payable for timeliness and accuracy, while applying judgment and analytical review.
- Prepare and file various returns including Sales and Use Tax Return, the Fuel Tax Rebate and reporting requirements such as, Equitable Sharing, Local Highway Report and others as assigned.
Review and post fixed asset entries and schedules prepared by accountant or responsible party.
- Create new vendors in software system and ensure all applicable documentation is complete
- Assist in the preparation of audit work papers, including review of work papers generated by others.
- Assist in preparation of the City’s Annual Comprehensive Financial Report, including mathematical and analytical review.
- Assist in creating and updating accounting policies and procedures.
- Responsible for testing of new functionality and updates of the system software.
- Provide back-up support to others including accounts payable and staff accountant.
- Assist with dash board and/or flash reports for management.
- Analyzes complex financial reports and records.
- Reviews and posts journal entries of staff accountant.
- Trains and mentors staff accountant.
- Performs variance analyses and preparing account reconciliation.
- Coordinates more complex accounting projects and initiatives with other members of the accounting and finance team or with other departments.
- Assist with special projects and assignments given by the department.
- Regular in-person attendance, since face-to-face interaction and coordination of work with other employees, outside colleagues, residents, or vendors, and all immediate access to documents or other information located only in the workplace is required.
(These essential and additional job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
Education and Experience:
- Four-year degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field with at least four years of direct experience as an accountant at a municipality, public accounting firm or in a private corporate environment. A Master's Degree and a CPA is preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of government accounting principles and their application to a variety of accounting transactions
- Knowledge of how transactions flow through the general ledger, including transactions generated from a variety of departments (accounts payable, payroll, utility billing, etc.)
- Advanced Excel user with V-lookup and pivot table capabilities
- Knowledge of general office procedures and practices including skills in key-boarding and adding machine
- Knowledge of Word, Business Analytics, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access, as well as basic Windows (must be computer literate)
- Ability to understand and develop complex business models
- Ability to make complex and varied arithmetic computations and tabulations quickly and accurately
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with the general public, fellow employees and outside professional associates
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Ability to organize and maintain records, schedules and supporting documentation
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Attention to Detail
- Ethical conduct
- Skill in writing reports, resolutions and official documents
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and comfortable working independently
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including strong spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Must be committed to providing outstanding customer service and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
Essential Physical Skills:
- Ability to access file cabinets for filing and retrieval of data
- Ability to sit at a desk and view a display screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to enter data at a prescribed rate of speed
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction)
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Works extensively at computer terminals. The work is performed in an office environment with frequent visits to end user locations. Work with a variety of hand and computer diagnostic tools to identify, repair and solve problems. Tasks involve the ability to exert physical effort in sedentary to occasionally heavy work, which may involve some lifting, reaching, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of objects and materials weighing between 0-20 pounds.
Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations:
Working Hours and Environment:
- Works inside in an office environment
- Stressful situations
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative and not intended to be all-inclusive of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made when requested to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.