The City of Fontana is inviting candidates to apply for the position of CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER/DIRECTOR OF MANAGEMENT SERVICES THE COMMUNITY
This is a rare opportunity to join the City in the capacity of its CFO due to the retirement of the City’s long-term Director. Under administrative direction from the City Manager, the Chief Financial Officer/Director of Management Services (CFO) serves as a key member of the executive team and provides highly effective leadership and oversight to the financial affairs of the City. The position plans, directs and manages the activities and operations of the Management Services Department, coordinates assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the City Manager. The CFO has supervision over 23 professional, technical, and clerical FTEs.
THE KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CFO POSITION INCLUDE:
- Development and administration of policies regarding investment of City funds.
- Responsibility for the development of the City budget, including revenue forecasting, departmental budget reviews and budget recommendations to the City Manager; presentation of budget and capital programs to City Council.
- Overseeing preparation and verification of financial documents and reports, including coordination with external auditors.
- Responsible for management of the City’s debt management program. Maintains accounts payable and payroll systems.
- Oversees City’s centralized purchasing function.
- Oversees billing and collection functions for the City’s utility, including setting of utility rates.
- Manages collection of City taxes and revenues.
- Ensures compliance with legislative, regulatory, and judicial mandates, regulations, and professional standards.
- Assists in the general administration of the City as a member of the executive.
- Seasoned Financial Expert: sound background serving as a Finance Director in a local government setting.
- Tech Savvy: ability to work with, and manage, multiple financial services systems, experience with Tyler Muni is desirable.
- Auditor’s Mindset: outstanding critical thinking and analytical skills to conduct internal reviews and oversee external audit processes; provide professional skepticism and review to financial practices.
- Innovative Leader: driven to develop a forward-thinking organization which integrates evolving best practices in the field.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Eight years of broad and extensive professional experience in government budget administration, fiscal operations, accounting, and auditing, with at least five years of local government and supervisory experience or a combination of education and experience.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Public Administration, or a closely related field.
- MBA/MPA or CPA preferred, but not required.
SALARY AND COMPENSATION
- The salary range for the Chief Financial Officer/Director of Management Services is $151,350 - $201,800 annually; placement within the range is dependent upon qualifications.
THE CITY ALSO OFFERS A COMPETITIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE, INCLUDING:
- Health Insurance (Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance): Up to $2,549/month towards the purchase of medical, dental, vision, group life, and short- and long-term disability insurance
- Retirement: Enrollment in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS)*
- Classic CalPERS Member: 2% @ 55, 7% employee contribution
- New CalPERS Member: 2% @ 62, 6.25% employee contribution
- *Member contribution subject to change
- Work Schedule: 4/10 work week (Monday – Thursday)
- Personal Leave Accrual (Vacation & Sick Leave):
- 224-312 hours/year (depending on years of service)
- Administrative Leave: 80 hours/year
- Holidays: 11 City-observed holidays, and an additional three (3) Floating Holidays
- Cell Phone Allowance: $1,020/year; Auto Allowance: $7,200/year
- Longevity Pay: Payable after 10 years of service
- Fringe Benefits: All fringe benefits which are proportionate to those provided to Management/Confidential Unit employees
TO BE CONSIDERED
- The first formal screening of candidates September 13, 2021.
- For more details, please see the full recruitment brochure Management Partners (managementpartners.com)
- Please contact Nancy Hetrick with Management Partners at 408-437-5400 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.