The City 's next Deputy Director of Finance will be a self-motivated leader who enjoys working as part of teams (large and small) using innovative, strategic, and forward-thinking approaches to solving complex financial issues. The individual will work in tandem with the Finance Director to fulfill the Department’s vision of providing excellent customer service, focusing on fiscal responsibility, transparency, integrity, and teamwork. Together, we strive to become the trusted business advisors of each City department and anticipate their needs and solutions. The City continues to have a “low” risk score based on the State Auditor’s annual analysis of key financial data for California cities, ranking as the 25th most financially stable of 423 cities measured statewide. In its 44-year history, the City has only had two leaders for the Finance Department. With the anticipated retirement of the Finance Director in the next few years, the individual chosen for this position would be an ideal candidate for the City’s next Finance Director.
This position might be perfect for you if:
- You are a numbers enthusiast. You love numbers, accounting for them, analyzing them, and helping others understand them.
- You have a knack for communication and know how to explain complicated matters to people without expertise in finance.
- You are friendly and approachable and enjoy helping others succeed.
- You are innovative and allow your creativity to shine when a complex task rears its head.
- You're comfortable not knowing all the answers because solving the puzzle by digging into data is your idea of a good time. It is just another opportunity to learn and grow.
- You pay attention to the details and see the little things that make the difference.
- You are a leader! You conduct yourself with honesty and integrity, encourage collaboration, empower your staff through training and access to needed resources, assist in policy setting, and serve as an advocate for the City's mission, vision, and values.
A day in the life would consist of:
- Managing assigned divisions and functions, including accounting and financial reporting, budget management, business licensing, revenue management, or special districts.
- Providing day-to-day leadership to the department and working to maintain a high performance, customer service-oriented work environment achieving City objectives and service expectations; providing leadership and participating in programs and activities that promote a positive employee relations environment.
- Providing oversight for various City audits and leading employees in the preparation of appropriate audit materials or schedules.
- Administering the City’s debt, ensuring timely payment of debt service, compliance with continuing disclosure requirements, bond covenants, and arbitrage reporting; participating in the issuance of new debt and/or refunding or defeasance of existing debt.
- Along with the Finance Director, leading the annual budget preparation and administration; preparing cost and revenue estimates for budget recommendations to Executive Management and other City departments.
- Administering and evaluating financial operations and activities; recommending improvement and modification to existing operations and activities to improve efficacy or efficiency; Preparing reports and analyses on operations and activities.
- Researching governmental accounting and public finance legislation, policies, rules, and best practices, and presenting findings and recommendations to the Finance Director.
- Collaborating with other City departments to accomplish common goals by communicating clearly and respectfully, actively listening to others, and being accountable for actions taken.
- Representing the Finance Department in City Council, commission, board, and other public and private agency meetings regarding finance operations and activities; Facilitating community participation through established citizens’ oversight committee(s).
For more information on this position, please visit the job description here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofrc/jobs/3315115/deputy-director-of-finance?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs