The City of Grand Junction is seeking a Deputy Finance Director to assist in leading a strong team of professionals in performing accounting and finance activities and services including financial reporting, grant management, and sales tax administration. The Deputy Director will coordinate assigned activities across City departments and with outside agencies while providing highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Finance Director.
What You'll Do:
- Assume high level management responsibility for assigned Finance Department division activities and services.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs.
- Develop and maintain the accounting and financial reporting system; prepare various financial reports and statements as requested by the Finance Director; direct the preparations of all financial reports as required by law; provide financial support and assistance to City Departments.
- Develop, administer, and monitor all aspects of the sales and use tax program; interpret Sales and Use Tax Ordinances and research and prepare administrative regulations, amendments and formal interpretations of the sales and use tax code.
- Assist with cash, investment, and debt management.
- Assist with the coordination and development of the City-wide budget.
- Establish, maintain, evaluate, and manage internal control structures in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, governmental accounting, and financial reporting standards.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the professional fields affecting the Finance Department.
What We're Looking For:
- Experience in municipal finance strongly preferred.
- Five years of increasingly responsible accounting and finance experience including two years of management and administrative responsibility.
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business or public administration or related field.
- Knowledge of governmental accounting, financial management and principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
- Ability to participate in the management of a comprehensive finance department and oversee, direct, and coordinate the work of staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong ability to build relationships with those contacted in the course of work.