Under the direction of the Director of Finance, this position is responsible for general accounting and financial reporting functions including supervising or performing the functions related to accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, cash receipts, and budgeting.
What You’d Do
- Oversee day-to-day finance operations and supervision of staff, including functional responsibility over accounting, financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and budgeting. Ensure appropriate procedures and processes are in place for each functional area assigned, including appropriate accounting procedures and internal controls.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls to safeguard assets and ensure financial reporting is in compliance with state and local requirements and GAAP as applicable to the Library.
- Verify and prepare all payroll and payroll related disbursements, including time sheets, payroll summaries and checks. Reconcile and record payroll transactions to the general ledger. Reconcile insurance billings and other payroll related vendor payments as well as prepare and distribute payroll-related vendor checks.
- File timely Federal, State, and local tax reports and other reports required by government regulation.
- Supervise or prepare monthly journal entries and general ledger reconciliation and prepare financial statements as assigned. Review monthly closing process.
- Ensure that the accounting system continues to operate as required. Validate and design suggested changes to ensure accounting requirements continue to be met.
- Coordinate work related to annual audits, including financial statement audit and workers compensation audit.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual budget for the Library. Prepare detailed reports to be used in the budgeting process. Prepare monthly and annual budget comparison reports for review.
- Prepare and supervise other staff members that prepare month-end accruals and performs overall general ledger system maintenance.
- Maintain appropriate records and reports for TIF activity.
- Track M/WBE activity and provide quarterly reports.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and team management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Considerable knowledge of governmental accounting practices and procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of overall finance operations, including internal control compliance.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex accounting and other financial management systems.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal), and outstanding customer service skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, along with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize and establish priorities.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Supervisory experience and computerized accounting and spreadsheets required. Knowledge of payroll processing.
- Minimum requirements include a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field and 7 years professional accounting experience. This requirement may also be satisfied by an equivalent combination of education, work, and life experience.
Other Things You Should Know
- This is a full-time exempt position. The starting salary is $57,801 to $70,000 DOQ. This position is open until filled.
How to Apply
- Please apply for this position through our web application system at www.kclibrary.org/jobs. This position is open until filled. Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.