We are currently accepting applications for a Financial Accountant who is detail-oriented, has excellent time management, and strong communication skills to join our team.
Why come work with us? Our employees are dedicated to the City’s core values – integrity, service, teamwork, dedication, vision and caring. We all chip in and roll up our sleeves to deliver exceptional customer service. You’ll have the opportunity to work on exciting projects that impact and support the community we serve.
This is specialized accounting work involving City-wide financial operations. Primary responsibilities include capital project accounting, assistance in the preparation of the annual Capital Improvement Program (CIP), cash receipts management and grant billing. This includes preparation of various internal and external financial reports and documents as needed, including all grant reporting. The position performs audits of physical inventory, fixed assets, and petty cash throughout the City. Successful work ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), applicable laws and City policies utilizing general procedures/instruction under minimal supervision of the Accounting Manager.
- Prepares CIP project spreadsheets and assists with preparation of annual CIP. Maintains capital project budget amounts in financial system consistent with adopted capital improvement program.
- Maintains expenditure and revenue information for all capital projects and performs all billings for projects (i.e., Kansas Department of Transportation, County Assisted Road System, Stormwater Management Advisory Council funds and other grant funding). Monitors expenditures of capital projects to ensure expenditures are within budget and resolution amounts. Works with project managers to ensure accurate accounting for capital projects and all required financial documents are provided to granting agencies by the appropriate due dates.
- Sets up all grant funds in the financial system and ensures all grant information is reported on the single audit of federal expenditures. Works with departments to make sure project expenditures are within guidelines and keeps all grant expenditure and billing documentation.
- Responsible for posting daily cash receipts to the general ledger and ensuring all cash receipts are coded to the correct general ledger account. Posts miscellaneous billings to general ledger. Responsible for ensuring accounts receivable transactions are coded accurately. Assists departments with processing miscellaneous bills including appropriate general ledger coding.
- Performs random physical inventory of fixed assets and inventory system.
- Reviews daily bank account transactions for items needing to be posted to general ledger.
- Researches all bank reconciliation items and records any necessary transactions in the general ledger.
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles account balances with appropriate records.
- Trained as backup support for other Finance positions
- Generates monthly accounting and reporting to various governmental and other outside agencies regarding organization payments of various taxes.
- Performs cash verifications of petty cash at various City locations.
- Assist in the preparation of audit schedules and the Annual Financial Report
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or related field. Three years of increasingly responsible accounting experience.
- Desired: Experience in governmental accounting principles and practices, treasury, and bank reconciliations.
Compensation and Benefits
Hiring salary range is $56,556 to $69,141 DOQ and directly related experience.
In addition to competitive pay, a full-time career with the City of Lenexa comes with a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, a robust health and wellness program, up to $25,000 in tuition reimbursement, excellent retirement plans, an on-site health clinic, and a culture that promotes teamwork and work-life balance.
Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check, drug screen, physical and a credit check.
To apply please complete an online application. Must include BOTH a resume and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Lenexa strives to treat all employees fairly, with consistency and respect, while providing a positive, challenging and rewarding work environment. We value and encourage diversity in our workplace.