The Water Replenishment District of Southern California is seeking an independent thinking, problem solving Financial Analyst to perform budgetary and financial functions in support of projects and programs related to the management of southern California’s groundwater resources. Working both independently and with the team, under direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the incumbent performs complex analytical work for financial planning and reporting, conducts financial studies and rate analysis, prepares and presents technical reports, operating and capital budgets, recommends and assists with the implementation of policies and procedures.
Join the WRD team and make a real difference in the lives of more than 4 million people in Los Angeles County by helping to provide, protect, and preserve safe and reliable high-quality groundwater. As part its commitment to hire and retain highly qualified customer-service driven professionals, WRD provides employees a very comprehensive and competitive benefits package including employer covered health care, up to 50% matching deferred compensation (with limits), a 9/80 work schedule and the ability to partially work remotely during this period of COVID-19 restrictions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed.
- Perform a variety of professional-level research, financial and analytical duties in developing operating and capital budgets; and revenue and expenditure projections.
- Assist in evaluating, developing and implementing financial policies and procedures; coordinate and document changes in procedures.
- Identify and resolve complex budgetary and financial issues; perform timely, accurate and informative financial analysis and forecasting; review and evaluate cost benefit proposals; and make recommendations to maximize cost effectiveness and operational efficiency.
- Monitor operating and capital budgets to ensure expenditures are appropriately accounted for and do not exceed authorized spending limits; ensure expenditures comply with all financial guidelines WRD policies and procedures.
- Monitor capital improvement projects, analyze, reconcile and prepare financial records of capital projects
- Participate in and provide staff support to the Board of Directors and committee meetings; prepares and presents staff reports and other correspondence at the meetings.
- Monitor month-end and year-end closing activities and assist in the preparation of interim and year-end audit.
- Maintain budget and financial systems and databases; problem solve and troubleshoot technical and functional issues related to the District’s financial systems; plan and conduct training programs for computerized financial system.
- Provide backup for accounting staff and performs special projects as assigned.
- Advanced practices/techniques of financial/statistical analysis, and report preparation and presentation.
- Advanced knowledge of public administration and business communications
- Operating and capital budget development, financial modeling and forecasting techniques
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes and regulations
- GAAP and Governmental Accounting Standards Board accounting standards and requirements.
- Principles and practices of fund and governmental accounting, financial statement preparation and reporting
- Computerized financial systems and Microsoft Office applications
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS TO APPLY:
- Four-year college or university with a major in accounting, finance, business administration or a closely related field; and at least eight years of progressively responsible accounting, budgeting and financial analysis experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Current valid California Driver’s License and insurance.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
- The first review of applications will be November 18, 2020. To be considered for this opportunity you must submit a (1) Application for Employment (2) Professional Resume (3) written response to Supplemental Questions. Application and Supplemental Questions are located at wrd.org/content/careers. Submit completed materials to Human Resources, email@example.com by the first review date.
INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate further in the screening process, which will include a panel interview and possible written exam. Final candidates will undergo a background check and drug test.