Performs a variety of tasks including planning, organizing, directing and coordinating all significant fiscal and administrative functions for the delivery of effective and efficient accounting and financial systems, policies and processes that meet the current and future requirement of the City.
The Director of Finance works under the supervision of the Mayor and Managing Director.
The Director of Finance is responsible for oversight of the Finance Department which includes direct supervision of departmental employees. Financial services provided by the department include budgeting, accounting, financial reports, investment of city funds, financial policy development, debt management, billing, purchasing, pension fund support, and related functions.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business or Public Administration or a closely related field and five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in public accounting, including local government experience in a management capacity including the supervision of professional staff; or
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business or Public Administration, or a closely related field, and seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in public accounting, including local government experience, five (5) years in a management capacity including the supervision of professional staff.
- The ideal candidate must possess extensive knowledge of the principles, methods, and practices of local government financial administration, including generally accepted principles for state and local governments.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in preparing a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
- Experience with Federal and State single audit requirements
- Working knowledge of governmental accounting and GASB pronouncements
- Skilled in detailed oriented budgetary and fiscal controls and adept at effectively utilizing limited resources while maintaining a high level of service
- Politically astute with a management style that fosters trust, loyalty, and respect
- Excellent communicator, both orally and in writing, with an ability to make effective presentations
To apply for this career opportunity and for a complete job description please visit our website at: www.allentownpa.gov
A resume and cover letter must be submitted with the application.
The cover letter must discuss the following topics in this order: your relevant professional background, including details of the scope and depth of the fiscal and administrative responsibilities of your most current position; a specific work-related example that best demonstrated your ability to analyze financial data, develop fiscal projections, and make recommendations to management; and your experience managing staff and what you have done in your career to maintain employee engagement and motivation.