Open until filled. Applicants must submit a completed City of Los Alamitos employment application and resume for the first
application screening by Tuesday, June 29, 2021. Please call (562) 431-3538 for additional information, or visit www.cityoflosalamitos.org for employment application Please submit all applications and resumes to:
- Tier 1 $ per month $5,755.51 to $6,992.25
- Tier 2 $ per month $5,615.12 to $6,821.67
- Tier 3 $ per month $5,478.30 to $6,656.41
(Tier range is based on your hire date, all new employees would be Tier 3)
The Accountant is a member of the Finance Division. Under general supervision, the Accountant, provides professional accounting services including but not limited to: general ledger maintenance, journal entry preparation, month end and year end procedures, bank reconciliations, various account reconciliations, and preparation of reports for various outside agencies. The position also reviews and posts accounts payable, accounts receivable, daily cash receipts, payroll and purchasing transactions, and prepares a variety of financial spreadsheets and transactions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following duties are typical for positions in this classification. Incumbents may not perform all listed job functions, nor are all listed duties necessarily performed by everyone in this class depending upon business need and changing business practices:
Under the direction of the Finance Director, the Accountant is required to perform the following essential job functions:
- Oversees the preparation of accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll records;
- Reviews cash receipts and warrants;
- Reviews and processes purchase order and bid requests;
- Maintains fixed assets accounting records;
- Makes journal entries to adjust ledgers and subsidiary accounts;
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliation’s and financial reports;
- Researches and corrects accounting errors;
- Prepares a variety of detailed accounting, statistical, and/or narrative financial statements or reports requiring analysis and interpretation of source data;
- Answers inquiries concerning financial and accounting methods;
- Compiles accounting records for independent audits;
- Assists in the preparation of the Comprehensive Accounting Financial Report;
- Assists with preparation and monitoring of the annual budget;
- Assists in the implementation of new accounting policies and procedures;
- Assists with and provides backup on payroll, accounts payable, and other clerical accounting functions as necessary;
- Assists the Finance Director in special research projects and technical studies.
- Prepares grant reports and monitors grants for compliance with regulatory agencies; and
- Performs other duties and assignments as directed.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Principles, practices and methods of governmental financial accounting and their application to a variety of accounting transactions and problems;
- Financial record keeping and bookkeeping principles and practices;
- Federal and State laws and regulations;
- Effective financial research methods and techniques including application of statistics used to compile and analyze data and prepare administrative financial reports and recommendations;
- Automated financial management systems, and the use of word processing equipment and spreadsheet software;
- Principles and operations of general purpose business computers;
- Standard office practices and procedures;
- Data input and retrieval methods and procedures, modern office methods, practices, procedures and equipment, including computer hardware and software necessary for word processing, graphic presentation, and database management.
- Organize, prioritize and coordinate work activities;
- Accurately prepare, maintain and reconcile various complex financial, accounting, payroll, statistical, auditing and numerical records;
- Read and interpret rules, policies and procedures;
- Organize, research and maintain files and records;
- Perform arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy;
- Understand, explain and apply complex rules and regulations;
- Use initiative and sound judgment within established guidelines;
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing at all levels of the organization;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work;
- Work independently and/or follow verbal and written directions.
- Possession of a valid Class “C” California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.2
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Education, Experience and Training:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field.
- At least three (3) years experience performing increasingly responsible professional and technical accounting work. Experience is
governmental accounting and/or with a municipality or other government agency is highly desirable.
Please submit all applications and resumes to HResources@cityoflosalamitos.org
The City of Los Alamitos is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not Discriminate on the basis of Race / Color, National Origin, Sex, Religion, Age or Handicapped Status in employment or the Provision of Service