Town of Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Wage/Salary: Salaried - $64,584.00/year
Date Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2022
Date Closing: Thursday, December 15, 2022
URL for this job:
The Payroll Manager is responsible for the management, coordination and direction of payroll in the Finance Division.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain payroll compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Supervise, monitor, assist, train and evaluate payroll technicians.
- Process bi-weekly, monthly, and off cycle employee payroll payments in an accurate, compliant and timely manner.
- Calculate and deduct appropriate amounts from payroll checks.
- Verify all overtime hours with the appropriate management personnel prior to issuing payroll checks.
- Determine payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, state retirement contributions, and employer's social security and state contributions.
- Maintain general ledger regarding payroll transactions.
- Oversee internal payroll and accounting audits on a semi-annual basis.
- Ensure the timekeeping and accounting software are set-up and updated to include current payroll related tax rates, calendar dates, accrual rates and overtime rules.
- Provide payroll support to departments by answering questions and requests about payroll processes, the timekeeping software and payroll accounting software.
- Partner with Human Resources Division in aligning and maintaining a reliable payroll and benefits system.
- Prepare relevant weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (941s, W2s, State Reporting etc.).
- Maintain power user role for the payroll software
- Assist with the annual budget process for payroll.
- Perform other related, assigned duties
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or closely related field and two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in payroll.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preferred Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Preferred Dayforce Ceridian experience