The Illinois Tollway is dedicated to providing and promoting a safe and efficient system of highways while ensuring the highest possible level of service to our customers. Whether it's I-PASS, the Move Illinois Program, open road tolling or keeping you safe with our H.E.L.P. trucks, we are committed to delivering great benefits and services to customers.
The Tollway is a user-fee system – no state or federal tax dollars are used to support maintenance and operations. Operations are funded by toll and concession revenues.
Under the leadership of the Board of Directors and Executive Staff, the Tollway is committed to achieving the following goals: increase collaboration with regional transportation and planning agencies, promote the regional economy, maintain financial integrity, foster environmental responsibility and sustainability, maintain the safety and efficiency of the Tollway system, further transparency and accountability, enhance customer service, and maintain public trust.
In support of this vision, the Senior Accountant will participate in the maintenance of the Tollway’s accounting records; maintain subsidiary and general ledgers; perform proper accounting for all assigned Tollway transactions to provide accurate information for (1) the preparation of GAAP financial statements and Trust Indenture-based supplementary schedules and (2) compliance with the requirements of SAMS.
Essential Job Functions:
The Senior Accountant reports directly to one of the Chief Accountants. To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following abilities:
- To collect and research accounting data.
- To identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- To gather and analyze information skillfully.
- To develop alternative solutions to problems.
- To develop project plans; to listen and get clarification; to participate in meetings; to write clearly and informatively.
- To develop workable implementation plans; to look for ways to improve and promote quality.
- To understand business implications of decisions.
- To complete administrative tasks correctly and on time.
- To develop strategies to achieve organizational goals; to adapt strategy to changing conditions; to complete tasks on time or notify the appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- To display original thinking and creativity; to generate suggestions for improving work.
- To develop innovative approaches and ideas; to prioritize and plan work activities; to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; to complete work in a timely manner.
Skills and Experience (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree plus three (3) years of accounting experience as an accountant involved in general ledger account reconciliations and monthly accounting close process OR a combination of college accounting courses and five (5) years of work experience involved in general ledger account reconciliations and a monthly accounting close process.
- Good aptitude for the concepts of accounting and good attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
- A good ability to communicate effectively both internally and externally to learn or explain accounting concepts and to resolve discrepancies.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Skills and Experience (Preferred)
- Previous experience with SAP is preferred.
The Illinois Tollway is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, disability, unfavorable discharge from military services, age, order of protection status, military status, sex or sexual orientation.