People all over the world come to visit and be a part of our unique city. Charleston is a rapidly growing and history rich coastal city with great opportunity. We rely on our employees to maintain this reputation, and as a part of the City of Charleston, you can help answer today’s problems while preparing for a successful future.
We are looking for a Senior Budget Analyst to join our Budget & Management team. This team is responsible for the preparation and monitoring of the City’s annual budgets for the General Fund, Enterprise Funds, and Special Revenue funds. You and the rest of the Budget team provide critical assistance to all City departments as they all seek to preserve and enhance the quality of life of the citizens of Charleston.
In this position, you will:
- Prepare monthly budget tracking reports, including progress charts and graphs
- Analyze current and past budgets, preparing and justifying budget requests, and recommending the allocation of funds according to spending priorities
- Analyze budget and accounting records to provide variance information to management
- Gather, organize and analyze information on problems or procedures including present operating procedures to consider available solutions and present findings to management
- Recommend approval or disapproval of requests for funds
- Liaison with Department Heads and Divisions Heads on issues related to budgeting
- Coordinate the preparation of annual budgets and monitor implementation progress
- Develop all necessary forms and record keeping mechanisms for budget monitoring
- Maintain records pertaining to budgetary goals and progress
- Respond to inquiries regarding the annual budget, current spending and revenue levels, and related issues
- Compile historical data for various budget reports
- Participate in the preparation of the Annual Budget Book and submission to GFOA
- Performs other duties as assigned
- In the event of major storms or other emergency situations, this position may be subject to 24-hour shifts or any other emergency schedule that is necessary to meet the City’s needs.
- May require evenings, weekends, and holidays as scheduled.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field
- At least 2 years of related experience in budget, finance, accounting or related field or an equivalent amount of additional education
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Outlook, Excel, and Word or similar software
- Master’s in Public Administration or Accounting
- The City of Charleston offers an extensive benefits package, including: health, dental and vision insurance; employer-paid short and long term disability, life insurance, and employee assistance program; annual and sick leave; 10 paid holidays and 1 personal holiday every year; tuition reimbursement; participates with SC Retirement System; 401k and 457 plan options; and many other benefits.
For more information, please visit https://www.charleston-sc.gov/1562/Benefits.