Staff Accountant

Staff Accountant
Flathead County Finance Department
 Kalispell, Montana
Job Description

Flathead County encompasses 5,098 square miles in northwest Montana. Approximately 94% of the land is National or State Forest, wilderness, agricultural, and corporate timber land, thus confining development to the remaining 6% of the area.

“The Flathead,” as locals call the valley, lies just west of the Continental Divide in northwest Montana. Here you will find the gateway to Glacier National Park, and the home of both Whitefish Mountain Resort and Blacktail Ski Area, eight golf courses, and Hungry Horse Reservoir. With the abundance of recreational opportunities and aesthetic values, it is not hard to see why Flathead County is among the fastest growing, and the third most populated county in Montana. Flathead Lake, the largest natural freshwater lake west of the Mississippi, is also among the cleanest large lakes – perfect for sailing, cruising, swimming, and fishing. A surprisingly mild climate invites you outside all year. Typical winter temperatures are in the 20s and 30s. Summer temperatures usually range from the 70s to low 90s.

With a population of just over 100,000 in 2019, you will find Flathead County has everything you need in an absolutely stunning natural environment. There are three incorporated cities in the County. The largest, Kalispell, has a population of approximately 20,000. Two additional major municipalities include Whitefish, with a population of 6,357, and Columbia Falls, with a population of 4,688. The population countywide is estimated to have grown in the last eight months to approximately 120,000.

Attraction development has greatly increased in recent years contributing to the influx of tourists and tourism-based services. Flathead County’s population increases by 40% during the months of June through August due to tourism.

This position assists the Finance Director, County Administrator, and County Commissioners in the planning and administration of the operational budget, capital budget, and comprehensive annual financial report; prepares the above mentioned documents in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Finance Officer Association (GFOA) document guidelines, ensures publications and notices comply with state law and publishes the information; administers (preparation of supporting work papers for audit review) and communicates (financial analysis of variances) with auditors during external field audits; conducts internal control reviews of department operations, identifies weaknesses, works with departments to implement improvement plans and present written and/or oral findings to Finance Committee and/or Commission; provides accounting guidance/direction to departments; advises, trains, and backs up other finance staff; and performs day to day operations of Finance Department under the direction of the Finance Director.