This position manages and optimizes the City’s cash flow and revenue and evaluates fiscal decisions in order to meet financial obligations. The treasurer provides investment management, debt management, and cash management processes. In addition, this position forecasts cash flow positions and analyzes risk and reward of financial decisions for City departments and funded agencies. The incumbent supervises lower level finance positions and performs special projects as assigned by City leadership.
- Manages the investments of the city funds and provides current status, activity and performance reports to administration. Invests funds in accordance with sound financial practice and City policy, maintaining safety and liquidity while maximizing yield.
- Develop and implement sound investment principles in compliance with statutory requirements for investments and depository purposes.
- Develop, recommend, and oversee investing policies, practices, and procedures; reviewing and analyzing data.
- Maintain the City’s formal investment policy and compile documentation for the annual review of the City’s expanded investment powers by the Pooled Money Investment Board.
- Evaluate completeness and accuracy of all transactions relevant to treasury functions to include discrepancy identification, and determination and implementation of corrective action to resolve errors.
- Maintain accurate, timely records and reports through the processing of accounting data and generation of required reports.
- Manage and/or oversee trustee functions within the Finance Department.
- Oversee the City’s debt management program and monitor compliance with statutory requirements. Monitor all short and long-term debts of the City and makes all principal and interest payments in a timely fashion.
- Oversee the administration and record keeping of special assessment process and debt.
- Monitors cash flow to ensure sufficient funds are available.
- Reconciles City’s bank accounts. Deposits and transfers money between accounts. Maintains updated information in all accounts and ensures all accounts are balanced timely.
- Maintain positive working relationships with financial institutions, broker-dealers, bond rating agencies, bond counsel and others.
- Works with auditors at year-end. Generates reports and presents all financial data as required for the audit.
- Conducts the necessary research and provides support materials to aid administration in making informed decisions.
- Assist in day-to-day departmental operations and provide periodic departmental reports.
- Assist the Director in providing leadership and direction for the City and its departments regarding treasury matters.
Supervisory responsibilities (if applicable)
- Lead functional areas to optimize divisional efficiencies and service delivery.
- Maintain staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees and developing personal growth opportunities.
- Monitor employee productivity and provide constructive feedback and coaching.
- Set goals for performance and deadlines in ways that comply with the City’s plans and vision and communicate them to direct reports.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Represent the department and serve as a resource by participating on various committees as appropriate.
- Promote a positive image of the City by participating in community organizations, as well as national, state and local professional associations.
- Remain competent and current on best finance practices through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Director of Finances.
- May assist in developing the City’s budget, including the debt capacity analysis included in the Capital Improvement Plan.
**Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.