The GAAFR is designed to serve as:
- A comprehensive introduction to public sector accounting and auditing for experienced finance professionals new to state and local government;
- A practical introduction to governmental accounting and auditing for new staff members;
- A practical reference tool for accounting and auditing staff; and
- A practice-oriented textbook for college-level classes and seminars on governmental accounting, auditing, and financial reporting.
This edition has been updated to incorporate all of the guidance of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) through GASB Statement No. 101, as well as GFOA’s current best practices on accounting, auditing, and financial reporting. References to the GASB’s Codification of Governmental Accounting and Financial Reporting Standards (Codification) have also been updated.
- Publication date: January 2024