Accounting for Pensions and Other Postemployment Benefits
Experience preparing or auditing financial statements for state or local governments that offer pension or other postemployment benefits (OPEB) to employees, or financial statements of pension or OPEB plans.
Field of Study
Accounting — Governmental
Accounting and Financial Reporting
Offered Both as Group-Live Class and E-Learning Opportunity
This seminar is designed to equip participants with a solid working knowledge of accounting and financial reporting for both pensions and OPEB. It also offers practical guidance on how to prepare a comprehensive annual financial report for a public employee retirement system (PERS).
Those who successfully complete the seminar should be able to:
- Distinguish pension benefits from OPEB
- Distinguish postemployment benefits from termination benefits
- Identify each of the different types of pension and OPEB arrangements
- Understand the appropriate accounting and financial reporting for employers in each type of arrangement
- Describe the basic elements of an actuarial valuation
- Identify the five major sections of a PERS comprehensive annual financial report and the contents of each
- Determine the appropriate measure of cost for termination benefits
Who Will Benefit
Schedule and Sample Agenda
Format / Location
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, GFOA has cancelled all Group-Live training events through September 2021.
This course is taught by finance officers and other industry experts.