Accounting for Pensions and Other Postemployment Benefits
Experience preparing or auditing financial statements for state or local governments that offer postemployment benefits, or experience preparing financial statements for a public employee retirement system.
Field of Study
Accounting — Governmental
Accounting and Financial Reporting
Offered Both as Group-Live Class and E-Learning Opportunity
The seminar is designed to equip participants with a solid working knowledge of accounting and financial reporting for pensions, other postemployment benefits (OPEB), and termination benefits. It also offers practical guidance on how to prepare an annual comprehensive financial report for a public employee retirement system (PERS).
Those who successfully complete the seminar should be able to:
- Distinguish pension benefits from OPEB
- Distinguish postemployment benefits from termination benefits
- Identify each of the different types of pension and OPEB arrangements
- Understand the appropriate accounting and financial reporting for employers in each type of arrangement
- Describe the basic elements of an actuarial valuation
- Identify the five major sections of a PERS annual comprehensive financial report and the contents of each
- Determine the appropriate measure of cost for termination benefits.
Who Will Benefit
Schedule and Sample Agenda
This course is taught by finance officers and other industry experts.