Accounting for Pensions and Other Postemployment Benefits
Experience preparing or auditing financial statements for state or local governments that offer postemployment benefits, or experience preparing financial statements for a public employee retirement system.
Field of Study
Accounting — Governmental
Accounting and Financial Reporting
Offered Both as Group-Live Class and E-Learning Opportunity
The seminar is designed to equip participants with a solid working knowledge of accounting and financial reporting for pensions, other postemployment benefits (OPEB), and termination benefits. It also offers practical guidance on how to prepare a comprehensive annual financial report for a public employee retirement system (PERS).
Those who successfully complete the seminar should be able to:
- Distinguish pension benefits from OPEB
- Distinguish postemployment benefits from termination benefits
- Identify each of the different types of pension and OPEB arrangements
- Understand the appropriate accounting and financial reporting for employers in each type of arrangement
- Describe the basic elements of an actuarial valuation
- Identify the five major sections of a PERS comprehensive annual financial report and the contents of each
- Determine the appropriate measure of cost for termination benefits.
Who Will Benefit
Schedule and Sample Agenda
Format / Location
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, GFOA has cancelled all Group-Live training events through September 2021.
This course is taught by finance officers and other industry experts.