Minneapolis, MN (Hyatt Regency Minneapolis)
Finance staff responsible for issuing debt for their government. The class is focused on providing an overview of key requirements and best practices for finance staff not frequently involved in the process.
Governmental entities have been using debt for over 200 years to fund public infrastructure such as government buildings, water distribution systems, schools, police stations and many other projects that require significant capital investment. Debt issuance requires working with a number of partners, each of whom has a specific role. The debt issuance will result in a financing agreement that is legally binding, and it is critically important that government officials understand the basic terms of the agreement and what the agreement commits them to do. This course will provide an overview of the debt issuance process and explain the many requirements governments need to adhere to focusing on GFOA’s best practices as guidance.
The class will follow GFOA’s guide on issuing debt.
- Learn how to use GFOA’s Debt Issuance Checklist
- Understand the types of legal counsel available for governments
- How credit rating agencies as part of the process
- Understand how to evaluate and select the method of sale
- Identify post issuance responsibilities.